Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Still Cruisin'.....

I forgot to mention one thing that happened while we were at sea..... I believe it was Monday evening, the day AFTER Bill's birthday..... We went to a show and saw a magician / comedian who asked for a "volunteer" from the audience. Our group "volunteered" Bill to go on stage. We told the magician that it was Bill's birthday and he asked Bill how old he was. Bill's answer was "Old enough to know better than to answer that question!!" Needless to say, Bill was duly humiliated and we were all GREATLY entertained. I'll let Bill tell you all about it, but suffice it to say, the "Birthday Party Hat" he started out wearing turned into something much, much funnier by the end of the schtick!!!

Our first port of call was Ketchican.

It was COLD and RAINY that day. Steve and I went on a really great excursion called "Adventure Karts". It was a shame that the description given didn't do this excursion justice, or some other folks might have joined us. When we got off the ship we got on a bus. This bus took us inland and across the island. We saw some amazing back woods areas of Ketchican that most tourists never get a glimpse of. Our bus driver / tour guide did a great job of pointing out flora and fawna on the way to the karts. Once we arrived at the location we were fitted with very nice wet weather gear and full face helmets and shown to our "kart". Each one held two people. I wasn't sure if I wanted to drive or not, but that dilemma solved itself when I didn't have my drivers license with me. (I thought I only needed my passport to get back on the ship. I didn't think about the "driving" part of the excursion!!) We drove an open wheeled vehicle up the side of a mountain in the rain and cold. We were covered with mud, but it was great fun. When we got to the turn-around point, there was a small pavilion where we were offered a snack. The scenery was beautiful, from a waterfall on one side to a lake on another side and beautiful mountains on another side. We stayed there for about 10-15 minutes and then headed back down the mountain. We looked at the scenery on the way up, but decided to "race" back down. It was really a lot of fun. After we got back to the garage, we turned in our helmets and rain gear and were then escorted to a boat for the ride back to the ship. The boat ride took us past some really nice homes and a couple of abandoned fish canneries. It was another informative and interesting part to the trip. We really had a great time and wished some other folks had joined us for the fun!!

We stood in line for almost an hour to get back on board the ship. It was very cold and wet, standing there in the pouring rain, but it was nice to get back inside and dried off. We had lunch with Bill and Deb and the girls as the ship left port. We only had a half day in Ketchican, but considering the weather, it was really OK. Now we were heading to Skagway and our next adventure.....

Just a little hint: I figured out that if you "double click" on a photo in someone's blog, the photo will enlarge for better viewing pleasure. Just an FYI!!

I hate to see Katie leave tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to seeing mom and dad in the afternoon. We're having the revolving door installed sometime next week!!! LOL ;)

Talk to you all soon. Love to all....

THANK YOU BRYAN!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I don't particularly want to go home tomorrow either, but I guess that's part of the military life... I've had a great time, and I hope to visit again soon!! Love ya!

JP2E said...

Steve looks like "Mad Max"!!
Does that make you Tina Turner?
I bet the cart trip was a blast!! Share more, the trip looks like a great time.
Take good care of Dad and Mom; and make sure dad brought the right sister home...