Ok, so this blog may meander, with lots of thoughts I've had over the past two weeks, but here goes:
First, Fall came to the Carolinas while I was away!! When we left Texas it was 82 degrees. When we got off the plane in Charlotte it was 58 degrees...... OMG!!!! We had one cold day while I was in Abilene, but it's still not quite autumn there. Fortunately, the autumn day was also the day of the Trunk-n-Treat on base, so the children were warm but not too hot in their costumes.
When Steve and I flew home from Abilene on Sunday, we had a 3-hour lay-over in Dallas. But, being the seasoned traveler he is, Steve went straight to American Airlines in Dallas and asked if we could get on an earlier flight. They told us it would not be a problem and we only had to wait about 45 minutes for our flight. We were certainly thrilled to get home around 7PM instead of 10PM, especially with the extra hour we would have to get home from the airport. Things were rocking along just great until.........we got to Charlotte with no luggage! They told us that just because WE made it to the earlier flight, that didn't mean our luggage would make it.....so, we had to sit around the airport HERE for 2 more hours and wait for suitcases. Needless to say, we were LESS than thrilled..... Steve kept talking about all the reasons he HATES AMERICAN AIRLINES!!! Unfortunately, they are the only airline into and out of Abilene, so we're pretty much stuck with them.... :(
OK, now for the REAL news...... a recap of my wonderfully amazingly fantastically great trip to Abilene (aka Maddy's world):
I have so many things to tell all you "old" parents out there...... the times, they are a changin'....
First off, let's discuss diapers. Certainly every young (or old) mother in this day and age uses disposable diapers. I think when I used cloth diapers with Chris, I was one of a dying breed. However, did you know the new diapers have NO VISIBLE PLASTIC on them? The outside of the diapers appears to be a very strong paper product that will withstand a LOT of abuse. AND, the little "tape" fasteners? No More......Now they are VELCRO, so you can check the diaper and if it's still clean (or relatively so) you can close it back up and keep on keeping on.....AMAZING!!!
Ok, here's another "diaper related" tidbit. Does anyone remember "pre-folded" diapers? These came along after the large sheets (that moms had to fold to fit the baby's bottom). Well they still sell them, but now, the fabric is printed with cute designs and they are sold as "burp cloths"..... Yeah, we used them for that too, but they were also for the other end as well!!!
I am very please and proud that Katie has decided to nurse Maddy. She seems to be doing very well with it. However, Maddy has also taken a couple of bottles, so she seems to be very well rounded as far as that is concerned. Of course, Bryan likes it when Katie leaves him in charge, so he can give Maddy a bottle, since he can't feed her any other way!!! LOL...
Another "different" thing from when I had babies is the bedtime thing. When Chris and Katie were babies we were supposed to lay them on their stomach when they went to bed, in case they spit up in their sleep, they wouldn't choke on it. NOTSOMUCH any more. Now, when you put your baby to bed, they should be on their back (for the same reason we put them on their stomachs???? Go figure). Anyway, with the baby going to bed ONLY on their back, that means while they are awake, they need to have TUMMY TIME (so the back of the head doesn't get flat). This requires the purchase and use of a "Tummy Time Mat". Maddy had her tummy time in the evenings just before bed time, since this seemed to be the time of day she was awake for the longest period. The first pisture is Maddy having Tummy Time on her Tummy Time Mat. The second picture is Maddy having Tummy Time wearing the adorable diaper pants from Great Aunt Michelle, while on thesweet quilt that Great Aunt Sue made!!

Katie and Bryan have a large round chair in their living room. Everyone who sees it and sits in it loves this chair. And, by the looks of these photos, this extremely comfortable chair doubles as a great place to sleep!!

Now for a couple of interesting and little known facts about Miss Maddy:
1. She heard that her Great Grandpop had a little club and she's been practicing "the face" for her initiation into the club.
**And**
2. Maddy seems to want to be as much like her Mama as possible. She's also practicing her thumb sucking skills, just as her mom did. Hey Kate, paybacks are HELL!!! LOL
While in Abilene I was able to do lots of things and go lots of places. After all I was there for two and a half weeks!!! So, I have a couple of signs to share with you. Both gave me cause to say hmmmmmmm....
The first was while we were at the zoo. On the window of the ticket office, this sign was permanently stencilled:

Does this seem odd to anyone but me??????
I saw the second sign while I was at Bryan's squadron building on base. Now, I know the government thinks they can tell everyone how to do everything, but this one was a bit ridiculous...
I went to the ladies room and there was a sign above the commode which read:
"Please hold the handle down until bowl is clear"
My thought was "I could be here quite a while since the "bowl" is stainless steel!!!!" LOL.....I just had to share.
OK, I think I have taken up enough of your time for now. I'll have more stories and pictures soon. I think I took about 350 photos while I was in Abilene, so be prepared.......the world's cutest baby will be showing up in my blogs from now on.
Love to all.......
OK, I think I have taken up enough of your time for now. I'll have more stories and pictures soon. I think I took about 350 photos while I was in Abilene, so be prepared.......the world's cutest baby will be showing up in my blogs from now on.
Love to all.......

7 comments:
Super great BLOG!!!
Looks like a happy baby in a happy home.
Do those diaper thingies come in adult sizes?...
Glad you made it home safe and sound. Looks like everyone is doing great. I'm working on getting Michelle to bring be a "bottle" while I watch football on Sunday. Maybe I should call it "tummy time" and she might go for it.
Good blog (long, but good). I'll get Maddy started on the 'Face' as soon as I can get my hands on her.
Love.
I would have made 3 or 4 days out of that. Glad the trip went so well.
Good blog, glad you made it home ok. Sounds like I have inherited your luck for flying, not Dad's.
I got your email, I'll have to get back to you on it. Not sure we are very flexible with what we can do. Sorry!
Good blog!! We miss you already, but know how lucky we are to have had you here for so long!! Come back soon!! :)
I know that Granny time was so special and not nearly long enough. I for one am looking forward to all 350 photos of the wee one.
Post a Comment