I don't know how much you all know, so I'm prepared to give you MY version of the LONG story.
On Tuesday evening Steve had already turned out his light and was headed to dreamland, while I was in bed reading a few chapters until I was ready to go to sleep. (I have been carrying my phone EVERYWHERE with me these days, just in case.....) Anyway, I got a text message from Katie asking me if she had "this" and "this" and "this" symptom, could she possibly be in labor. After a couple of text messages back and forth, I decided I needed a "face to face" so to speak with her, so I called her back. After a short consultation I told her that she could, possibly be in labor, and if things continued the way they were, she should probably go on to the hospital. Of course I ended with "keep me posted". Needless to say, I wasn't able to think about going to sleep at this point. I turned out the light and just laid there......then I got another text message from Bryan at about 1:30 stating that they were at the hospital. Again, I asked him to keep me posted and he said he would. I spent the rest of the night with one eye on my phone and really didn't sleep too much.
On Wednesday morning, when Steve was ready to leave for work I told him that Bryan had taken Katie to the hospital over night. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked "How do you know that?". I told him I hadn't slept much because of phone calls and text messages over night. He chuckled and said he hadn't heard a thing!!! Any way, I decided to just get up because I wasn't sleeping anyway. I went downstairs and proceeded to keep myself busy for a couple of hours. At that point I couldn't stand it any more and I called Bryan's phone again. It was about 8:00 or 8:30 by this time (eastern time) and Bryan told me things were not progressing and he wasn't sure what would happen. Then at around 9:00 Katie called and told me they were sending her home because, even though she was in considerable pain, she wasn't progressing. So, they gave her a shot of demerol and some Ambien and told her to go home and sleep.
They went home and Katie went to bed, but she couldn't sleep. She said the pain was keeping her awake. Anyway, after about 3 hours of this she decided she needed to go back to the hospital for some better pain medication. Upon arrival, they checked her and said "This baby is coming now!!"......This was about 12:30 and Maddy arrived at 1:30. She was just plain ready to come into the world on Wednesday!!!
I never expected her to arrive early (first babies never do, right?!?!?!)......so my plane ticket was for Saturday. I checked with the airline and found that a ticket to Abilene on Thursday would be in excess of $1,200!!! Needless to say, NO ONE needs to go to Abilene Texas THAT BAD!!!! So I called the customer service office and "worked my magic" with them. They were able to get me a ticket for approximately TWICE the cost of my original ticket. That was worth it to me, so I left Charlotte for Abilene on a 7:05 AM flight on Thursday. I arrive in Abilene at 10:40 and Bryan picked me up and took me directly to the hospital. This is what I found when I got there:





They released my girls around 5:30 on Thursday afternoon and we all went home. We had dinner and waited for Chris and April to arrive. They had been worried that they would make the trip to Abilene and never meet Maddy, but she certainly cooperated with their plans this time!! They arrived very late (I believe it was around 11:30 pm). We all said our hellos and goodnights in one breath.
Today we just hung out. Bryan had to go to work and finalize some paperwork for his "paternity" leave. Later in the day Katie and Bryan's friends, Breezy and Mike came by for a visit. We're having a good time just hanging out together. We only wish "grandpop" Steve could be here to enjoy the sweet baby with us. Here are a couple of cute shots I took today.


Personally, I think she looks EXACTLY like Katie did as a newborn. I guess I must admit that I never saw Bryan at this age, but I'm not sure it would change my mind if I did!! As time goes on we'll see who she looks most like, but I think I'm a bit partial.... ;)
Until next time.....
Love to all.......

6 comments:
Yay! You're a grandmom and she is precious! I know you're proud and your chest is puffed out and you have every right to gloat because she is perfect. Enjoy her while you can I hope all is well and stays well in Texas!
Congratulations Grand Mom!!! You are right, she is perfect. I know she will bring happiness to all she meets.
I think she kinda resembles Chris, especially around the eyes. We got the Piz you sent my E-Mail. Thanks.
Love.
Thank you. I know I'm a bit partial, but I, too, think she's PERFECT!!! I'm so glad that you are here!!! Thank you for coming to visit, and, more importantly, for all your help! Love ya! :)
You all need to get your Maddy time in. GrandPop will be in soon and will want his time. Glad all is well and all is beautyful.
She looks a lot like Steve, but with more hair!!
Of course that might just be gas...
What a precious baby! I know how you are feeling now and how wonderful that feeling is.
Post a Comment