Saturday, July 25, 2009

Another Fun (but hot) Day of Geocaching!

Today, Steve and I went to Rock Hill, SC to run some errands. Since we knew we'd be there, I printed out a few geocache sites to investigate while we were there. Unfortunately it was around 100-degrees today, so we didn't spend as much time "playing" as we would have liked.

The first cache we looked for, we did not find. It was in a public park and we were at the posted coordinates, but no luck. There was a huge stand of green leafy bushes which I am sure is where the hide was located. We've decided to go back in the fall or winter when it's not so hot and hopefully some of the leaves will be gone.

The second cache we went after was a pretty easy find. Part of the reason for that is this one was located in such a way that someone in a wheelchair could participate in the find. Since this was the case, we knew it would be very close to the concrete path through the public gardens in downtown Rock Hill. Once we reached the coordinates, we both just scuffed around in the ivy ground cover and Steve came up with the box. We signed the log book and were on our merry little way.

The third cache we went after was at a city recreation area. There were pools, playgrounds, picnic tables, and a large facility with work-out equipment and public meeting rooms at this location. When we pulled into the parking lot we both got a close hit and realized we had parked almost on top of the cache. Steve took off with his handheld unit (which has a handy arrow on the screen pointing in the direction he must travel to find the coordinates) and I took off with mine. Due to the dense tree cover, Steve had some problems with satellite transmissions (his hand-held is very, very old). So, he was on one side of this particular grassy area and I was on the other because my GPS said I was in the right place (and his said, albeit very slowly, that HE was in the right place). I'm so thrilled because I found this particular hide. I realized at that point that Steve had found every single cache we had logged, so this one was very special to me.

Since it was so darned hot outside we decided to call it a day at this point. We'd only been at it a couple of hours, but the heat was killing us. We came home and I got on the geocaching.com site and logged our finds (and our one DNF - did not find). It was a very fun day, all in all.

In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge, I got online to check for geocaches in that area. Since I don't know the exact address for the cabin, I decided to use Dollywood for a reference point. I put in the address for the entrance to Dollywood and found 101 hidden caches within a 10-mile radius!!! There's no way we'll have time to do that many and I'll narrow down my search parameters before we get there, but I'm getting very excited about finding some hidden treasure in the Tennessee mountains!! Anyone interested in going "hunting" with us, my main advice would be to be sure you have some comfortable walking shoes to wear. Most of the hidden caches are off the beaten path, but not out in the middle of nowhere..... I always wear my tennis shoes when we take off for our adventures. I don't think flip flops or sandals would be best for this activity.

Until next time.....HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Love to all.......

4 comments:

Katie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! You've definitely piqued my interest. I hope that we're able to participate when we're all in Gatlinburg!! Love ya!! :)

P.S. See you soon!!

Big Jim said...

I would love to go with you on a hunt if there is room. It really sounds like a lot of fun.
Love.

Sue said...

It does sound like fun. I know Michael and Victoria and the munchkins have enjoyed it.

CShore said...

Hopefully this weekend the weather will let us have a shot at it! Sounds like you had a blast once again.