Sunday, September 28, 2008

New Memories ... Old Memories ...

What a great weekend we had!!! Spending Friday night with Bill and Deb was great. I'm not sure we were much company after our long drive, but I think we all had a nice dinner and visit afterwords.

Then, of course, the MAIN EVENT....


Mom's surprise party on Saturday was just sooooo much fun!!! It's always a great time when everyone gets together. I feel like I sit back in the corner and just listen to the boys. Their stories are so much fun to listen to. I'm just so glad that we have been able to make so many trips back and forth since we moved to SC. The time involved in the drive is just about the same as it was from Nashville, but it's just so much easier of a drive. It's pretty, picturesque and not stressful at all. I'm glad we came and I'm glad mom was surprised. I think everyone had fun....if you didn't, it's your own darned fault!!!!



Now ... the much awaited......

I'm the one who started this whole thing about sharing a memory and I haven't written mine down yet, so here goes. I am almost willing to bet none of my brothers will have a memory of this event because we were all very young (some were not even around yet) and it only involved me......

It was Christmas Day. I was probably about six years old. As was usual on Christmas at that time, we would go next door to grandmom and grandpop's house for dinner. Mom told all of us that we were allowed to bring only ONE toy to play with while we were there. Of course, there was great angst in trying to decide which toy to bring...

This year was different. I knew what I would bring. I got the greatest toy EVER for Christmas. It was my new "Chatty Cathy" doll. She was so beautiful. She had blonde curly hair just like me, she had a new watch just like me, and she had the prettiest white teeth that showed through her slightly parted smiling lips. When you pulled the string at the back of her neck, she actually SPOKE!!! Now, some of you young folks will have to realize this was brand new "technology" (that word wasn't even invented yet). Her lips didn't move, her face didn't move, nothing moved, but she had a speaker in her back and she actually SAID WORDS. Things like "let's go play!!" and "your hair is pretty".... She had about 5 or 6 different sayings, but I never got tired of hearing her voice, so I kept playing the same sayings over and over and over and over again.

When we got to Grandmom's house, all the grown-ups "ooohed and aaaahed" at all our toys. When I demonstrated my pretty new doll, Uncle Bill (later to be named "Uncle Meanie") said "Bring that thing over here". Remember, this talking doll thing was VERY NEW and he had never seen anything like it. So he grabbed my doll from my hands and YANKED her string.....and pulled it right out of her back!!! I couldn't believe he had broken my most prized posession. Of course, he just laughed and said it wasn't made very well (that was his way). I cried and cried and he ruined my Christmas Day.

Of course, the next day Mom took me back to the store and we were able to get a new one. The store clerk even suggested that I keep the watch from the broken doll and put it on the new one because most of them didn't come with watches!!!

But I'm not bitter, I'm over it by now..... and I have no idea what ever happened to that doll that was so important to me that day......

As I told everyone else, I'll try to keep up the stories whenever I can't think of anything else to write. I hope you all do the same. And let's keep making new ones........

Love ya!!!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing the events of Grandmom's party with us!! I wish we could have been there, but I don't think the doctor would have let me travel that far in my "condition". LoL.

Also, thanks for sharing YOUR memory!! This has been a fun game, and I hope that everyone keeps it up when they run out of things to blog about!!

See you soon! Love ya! :)

JP2E said...

It appears that we were BLOGing at the same time! I finished mine and yours was updated.
I do remember your doll and the broken string, it was tough. I also remember a bunch of grownups crashing the MARXACOPTER and leaving us boys with a mess. I got over it, no problems.(snif-sniff) LOL!!

Big Jim said...

Uncle meanie was brother meanie as I was growing up! I remember the doll, but don't remember what became of it. Like so many thing in those years the memories are faint.
It was so good to see you & Steve this weekend. There will always be room for you here.
Love.

Dottie O said...

Chatty Cathy! OMG I remember her. My Dad told stories of maybe Karen's and how they recorded messages of their own to make her say. I can just imagine. I saw Katie's blog and she looks wonderfully adorable! She looks just like you!!! I'm in work, busy as hell. TTYL love Dottie

Sue said...

It was so good to sit and chat with you. You were especially sweet to listen to me go on and on about my friend who passed (even though you had heard it before) I think you knew how I was feeling on this anniversary of her visit last year. I can't tell you how much that meant to me.
The doll story at least has a happy ending since you were able to get a new doll.

JP2E said...

HEY! Who pulled Dotties string??? Good to see that she is online with us...

Kelly2eVega said...

That story made me sad! :(